Sabine

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:56:50 -0500
From: Rob Ray <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

*****WORLDWIDE WARDRIVE THIS SATURDAY AUGUST 31 12PM!*****

DEADTECH will be acting as a command-center for the "Worldwide Wardrive" this weekend in Chicago! Those interested in participating in the Worldwide Wardrive in Chicago on Saturday August 31st let me know... It's easy, pretty fun, and you don't have to have wardriven before... Don't worry. There isn't going to be a bunch of people there making fun of you because you have a Macintosh or whatever. You'll only be made fun of if you're caught pretending you know more than you actually do.

WHERE: DEADTECH. <http://www.deadtech.net>http://www.deadtech.net
3321 W. Fullerton Ave. Chicago. (On Fullerton between Kedzie and Kimball.)

WHEN: Start/end times are up for grabs but here's the tentative schedule.
12:00pm - 1:00pm "Wardriving for Newbies" (if there's enough demand)
1:00pm the wardriving begins. Stop whenever you feel like it.
9:00pm party at deadtech. It's Phillips birthday! Come sing happy birthday!

AFTER-PARTY!:
There's going to be a wardrive/phillips birthday party afterwards at DEADTECH for so come for the driving and stay for the beer. PARTY TIME: 9:00 PM till MIDNIGHT or so. Beer and DJ's will be provided. You'll have to bring your own booty - shaken not stirred.

PRIZE: We'll see if we can't drum up a cool prize for most confirmed SSID's or something...

At the command center we will be doling out sections of a Chicago Map for people to drive. This way we can hit as much of the city as possible without duplicating effort. If you can't make it by but want to drive, just call or email us and I'll send you a section of the map.

******GENERAL INFO and F.A.Q******

WHAT IS WARDRIVING?:
War driving is the usage of 802.11 wireless ethernet cards and a car, bike, skateboard, or other vehicle to cruise around logging wireless access points.

WHAT IS THE "WORLDWIDE WARDRIVE?"
People in many cities across the world are coordinating a wardrive all on the same day. This year is the 1st event of it's kind on such a large scale (worldwide, duhh...). Chances are, it will only get moderate participation as it's been loosely kicked off just last week -- but just imagine the street cred of saying you were at the first one... Chicago, lots of Baltimore/DC folk, Detroit, Barcelona, have all confirmed so far with more coming in....

WHY IS WARDRIVING USEFUL?
Security enhancements: A LARGE percentage of wireless access points are not encrypted and will allow full internal network access to anyone with a wireless network card and valid SSID. This puts many companies at risk in a big way. To have a database of these connections allows companies to see if they are exposed without having to go through the trouble of wardriving their own network... Global statistics from a sampling this large are also really useful in determining the penetration of 802.11b wireless networks and the security of these sites.

Public service: Also, many people willingly leave their wireless Access Points available as a community service for anyone that needs Internet access. Increasing knowledge about these efforts increases the participation in them, thus growing a publicly supported and publicly available "grass/roots" wireless network.

IS WARDRIVING ILLEGAL?
No, though it can be. The mere detection of networks is not at all illegal. The intrusion of that network can, in many circumstances, be considered illegal.

Think of it like this. Looking at a car door and seeing if it's unlocked is not illegal. Telling someone, "Hey, that door is unlocked." is also not illegal. Opening the door and jumping in is, in some circumstances, definitely illegal. Best way to steer clear of breaking the law is

WHAT DO I NEED TO WARDRIVE?

Wardriving is a human-intensive task. It's like being a cabdriver for a computer, so even if you don't have a computer but have a car, or just want to come along for the conversation, you're more than welcome. You don't need to be a computing genius to participate, you can just be a good driver, or tell funny jokes in the car. Below though are the common applications and hardware which enhance the wardriving experience...

COMMON APPLICATIONS FOR WARDRIVING
-Windows: Netstumbler (<http://www.netstumbler.org>www.netstumbler.org)very easy to use. -Linux: Kismet, iw-scan (<http://www.kismetwireless.net>www.kismetwireless.net)(students.washington.edu/rlotz/swn/iw-scan/iw-scan) -FreeBSD: wi-scan (<http://www.dis.org/wl/wi-scan>http://www.dis.org/wl/wi-scan) -Mac: Ap Scanner (<http://homepage.mac.com/typexi/Personal1.html>http://homepage.mac.com/typexi/Personal1.html)

COMMON HARDWARE FOR WARDRIVING
-A car, motorcylce, bike, skateboard (though this is dangerous) or just some good sneakers -802.11b wireless ethernet card (manufacturers include Agere, Orinoco, 3com, etc.)
-Notebook computer
-Notebook cigarette lighter power adapter (not req. but helps in long drives)
-GPS and serial data cable (not req. but better than having to log SSID's on a paper-based map.) -12 volt DC / 100 volt AC power inverter (so you can plug your gps, notebook, mp3 player etc into your cigarette lighter without the proper adapters.)
-A good 2.4Ghz antenna (not required but helps you get more hits.)

ACCESSORIES
-Thermos of coffee
-Some good driving music
-Pen and paper
-A drivin' buddy (esp. if you don't have a GPS to log your SSIDs)
-Some good CD's,Tapes and/or NPR

WHERE CAN I CHECK OUT WIRELESS AND WARDRIVING RELATED WEBSITES?
<http://www.netstumbler.com>www.netstumbler.com
<http://www.wardriving.com>www.wardriving.com
<http://www.seattlewireless.net>www.seattlewireless.net
<http://www.personaltelco.net>www.personaltelco.net
<http://www.securitytribe.com/wardrive.html>www.securitytribe.com/wardrive.html
and your friend google. <http://www.google.com>www.google.com

information&comunication channel | for net.broadcasters
http://xchange.re-lab.net  (Xchange)  net.audio network
xchange search/webarchive: http://xchange.re-lab.net/a/