[Xchange] acoustic.space.lb com_link from makrolab
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:00:23 +0100
From: honor <honor@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: confirming time for acoustic.space com_link from makrolab
This is a short email to confirm the times for the acoustic space research
lab chat this week:
25.07.02 [ Thursday 25 July ]
1100 -> [ GMT ]
1200 -> [ British Summer Time - present makrolab chronological zone ]
1300 -> [ Central European Time ]
2100 -> [ Australian Eastern Standard Time ]
Please write back to confirm you can come.
topics which we might like to talk about include:
- the research we have been undertaking here for our proposed project
'radio astronomy' <http://www.radioqualia.net/makrolab/radioastronomy.html>
- the logistics of how to move forward with some of the project ideas we
would like to implement in collaboration with VIRAC
- the nature of the on-site research which rasa, raitis, derek and marko
can undertake while visiting VIRAC in the next few weeks
- the contents of the acoustic space lab reader/cdrom
We hope the chat participants will be:
- rasa and raitis (in riga)
- derek holzer (in riga)
- r a d i o q u a l i a (@ makrolab)
- marko peljhan (@ makrolab)
- zina and snow (in sydney)
- stephen kovats (in london)
+ possibly a few other makronauts (calum stirling, ewen chardronett, tim
Is it also OK if I ask Gavin Starks
the streaming expert, who's also an astronomer.
Our uplink is not very fast, meaning it isn't possible for us to send an
outgoing audio/video stream. We can *possibly* send a very low-bandwith
audio stream (perhaps 8K), but it would probably be better if met in a
net-conferencing environment, rather than trying to stream to one another.
We can *receive* streams however, so if anyone wanted to *send* us a
stream, we can probably pick it up.
I suggest we attempt to meet in iVisit, so that we can:
- take advantage of its low-bandwidth text based chat facility
- have the option of sending/receiving a low-bandwidth webcam/video feed
from anyone who wishes to send visuals.
- have the option of utilising iVisit's (admittedly very bad) audio facility
Is everyone OK with iVisit? It can be downloaded from
<http://www.ivisit.com>. It is free and very simple to use.
Makrolab have been using Stephen Kovats' Aurora room for our online
meetings. I think it would be ok to use this room again for this meeting.
Please use the below instructions to connect to the Aurora room.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONNECTING TO IVISIT/MAKROLAB CHATS
1. Download iVisit
2. Connect webcam or video camera to your computer, if you want to send
3. Open iVisit
4. When you open ivisit you should have 4 windows:
- chat window
- local AV
- guest list
You need to focus on 'directory'
5. Navigate to the Aurora Room, via the following path:
- In the directory list choose "arts". Double click on "arts"
- then choose "private rooms". Double click on "private rooms"
- then choose "4". Double click on "private rooms"
you will now see "aurora".
6. Single click the little icon for entering a room at the bottom of the
window (it is a little green arrow pointing at 2 orange people).
7. Once you click this icon, you will be prompted for the password
The password is: uni
8. Once inside, the other chatters will show up as little icons in the
guest list. If you click once on their image, then a larger window will pop
up on your desktop and you will see their video if they are sending any. If
you don't have a camera to send video you can paste in a pict image which
We can communicate by using the text-based chat window.
CONNECTION FALLBACK PLAN
At the above time, I will also be at LambdaMOO just in case anyone has any
troubles connecting via iVisit.
Lambda can be reached using telnet. Use the following directions:
- open telnet
- open the following location: telnet://lambda.moo.mud.org port: 8888
- type connect guest (or connect with your character name if you have one)
- follow the instructions lambda gives you to congigure your connection.
- once you configured your connection, you will emerge in the 'Coat Closet'.
- type @join emigre. you will be transfered straight to Raving Mad Coma
Theatre where I'll be waiting.
Is this OK with everyone?
Please write back soon.
Must go now - not much wind power left to power the computer/internet router!
ph: 44 (0)20 78641859
ph: 44 (0)20 74015066
| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
(a) (c) (o) (u) (s) (t) (i) (c) ( ) (s) (p) (a) (c) (e)
| | | | | | | | | | | | | |
information&comunication channel | for net.broadcasters
http://xchange.re-lab.net (Xchange) net.audio network
xchange search/webarchive: http://xchange.re-lab.net/a/